Sunday 27 September
Worship with Mel
Jesus Forgives Peter
Use this guide to help your family learn how God can help us live with humility.
First, watch this video
Then, follow up with the fun activities below!
ACTIVITY: True, False, Shoot!
WHAT YOU NEED:
Laundry basket, balled-up socks, surprise treat
What You Do
Place the laundry basket in the center of the room. Direct your child to walk 10 paces directly away from it. Then explain the game: You’ll ask the following questions. If they get a question wrong, you’ll give them the correct answer and move on to the next question. If they get a question right, they get one point and a chance to try to toss a pair of socks into the basket. If they get the socks into the basket, they get an extra point (two points total). Keep track of your child’s score as you go.
- True or false: On the night Jesus was arrested, Peter told everyone that Jesus was his best friend. (False; Peter said that he didn’t even know Jesus.)
- True or false: After Jesus died and came back to life, Peter and his friends got on a boat to go fishing. (True)
- After Peter and his friends fished all night, they caught: a) no fish, b) a few fish, or c) a ton of fish? (a. no fish)
- True or false: After they were done fishing, they looked on the shore and saw Jesus standing there. (True; but they didn’t recognize who He was)
- What happened when the disciples threw their nets on the right side of the boat? (The net was so full of fish that they couldn’t get it into the boat!)
- What did Peter do when he realized it was Jesus on the shore? (He put on his coat and jumped into the water.)
- When Peter and his friends got to the beach, what was Jesus doing? (cooking breakfast)
- True or false: When Jesus told Peter to “feed my lambs,” He meant that He had some pet lambs at home and He needed someone to take care of them.(False; He meant that Peter should take care of the people following Jesus)
- Did Jesus forgive Peter for saying that he didn’t know Jesus? (Yes)
- Jesus told Peter, “Follow me.” What do you think it means for us to follow Jesus today? (To love others the way Jesus loves us; to forgive; to show kindness; to put others first)
Talk about the Bible Story
Was Peter a good friend to Jesus? (Not all the time. He said three times that he didn’t know Jesus.)
Was Jesus a good friend to Peter? (Yes. Jesus forgave Peter.)
Has a friend ever hurt your feelings? How did that feel? What did you do?
Are there any friends in your life that you need to forgive right now? Tell me more. Let’s pray together and ask God to help us forgive them. Remember, friends forgive one another.
Use this prayer as a guide, either after your discussion or right before bed tonight:
“God, thank You for teaching us how to be a good friend. Jesus showed us that even though a friend may hurt our feelings, we don’t have to stay hurt. We have the power to forgive. Because Jesus forgives us, we should forgive others. That’s what good friends do. Thank You for forgiving us and loving us. Thank You for being the best Friend we could ever ask for. Amen.”
God Time Cards:
are devotionals kids can do that will reinforce the content in the weekly video presentations.