Sunday 20 June
Use this guide to help your family learn how
God can help us live with confidence.
First, watch this video
Then, follow up with the fun activities below!
ACTIVITY: Four Corners
WHAT YOU NEED:
Sticky notes and a pencil/pen (optional)
What You Do
Tell your child that you’re going to play “four corners”—but in a different way than they may be used to.
Find a room in your house that you can pretty easily move around in. Designate the corners as corner one, two, three, and four. (Make sure your child is clear on which corner is assigned to which number. You could affix numbered sticky notes onto the wall at each corner.)
Say, “For each round, I’m going to list four characteristics that God has given people. Then, you choose which one applies to you the most. If it’s option one, you’ll go to corner one. If it’s option three, you’ll go to corner three. Got it?”
Then, read from the list below. After each round, ask your child to explain their choice. (Play along by running to the corner that best applies to you!)
Four Corner options:
(1) Great singing voice, (2) the ability to make people laugh, (3) A math brain, (4) Good fashion sense
(1) Artistic ability, (2) A love for sports, (3) Someone who can make people feel welcome, (4) Good at playing games
(1) Good at writing, (2) Organized, (3) Loves to cook or loves food, (4) Likes to build things
(1) Really good helper, (2) Strong, (3) Full of creative ideas, (4) Can run fast
(1) Loves music, (2) Generous, (3) Thinks ice cream is the best thing ever, (4) Can remember lots of lines from movies
Talk about the Bible Story
In our story today, who were the Midianites? (People who took over the Israelites’ land)
What did the Israelites do when they lost their land? (They asked God for help.)
Who did God use to save the Israelites? (Gideon)
How did God use Gideon? (With God’s power and help, Gideon
and 300 men conquered the Midianites.)
Do you ever feel like Gideon did—
like you’re not good enough for God to use you?
Parent: Share about a time when
you felt useless or like you weren’t enough, but God changed your
mind and gave you confidence.
Use this prayer as a guide, either after your discussion or right before bed tonight:
“God, thank You for this amazing story about Gideon. You used Gideon even though he didn’t feel smart enough, good enough, or powerful enough to beat the Midianite army. The truth is, You are a big, great, LOVING God who wants to use us no matter what! Show us how we can make a difference and help the people around us. We love You. Amen.”